May brings a lot of exciting things at our house.
Mother’s Day, my birthday and Nate’s birthday all fall in this month and we love celebrating! In previous years, this month of celebration would have been just cause in my mind to take a break on all things “health and wellness” but NOT ANYMORE!
I believe in living a lifestyle that is as balanced as possible. As a mom, wife, full-time special education teacher and an online health & wellness coach I am BUSY! I focus my nutrition on eating by the 80/20 rule. That’s 80% healthy and 20% treats–or even cleaner on most weeks. This lifestyle has completely changed my life. It helped me lose 30 pounds when I first decided to make a change and then 40 pounds after having Gabe. I’m not about to look back!
Eating healthy and doing at-home fitness programs has allowed me to find the balance I need in my life. I stay on track as much as possible and allow myself to have treats without guilt. I absolutely LOVE baking and being in the kitchen, it’s a huge passion and hobby of mine; and cupcakes are my favorite! I also like to take existing recipes and put a fun, and healthier spin on them. Check out the recipes section of the blog to find some inspiration for your next meal planning!
I partnered with FIT and Flirty an athleisure and lifestyle brand whose mission is to
“encourage every single lady to recognize that no matter where she is on her fitness journey, she is beautiful, powerful, and should be celebrated.”
When I connected with the owner, Anna on Instagram I was so excited! She’s one of the kindest most motivated women I have ever met, and we have the same goals about sharing the message of living a balanced, healthy & active lifestyle.
We brainstormed together to bring you my “healthy” spin on the Vanilla Cupcakes with Champagne Buttercream Frosting. Inspired of course, by our mutual love for bubbly and health & wellness. The cupcake is a health(ier) take on a typical cupcake. The frosting is a treat–so make sure to enjoy every bubbly bite!
Without further ado–let’s get baking!
Below are the ingredients you will need for My Special Champagne Cupcake
Vanilla Cupcake Ingredients
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted grass-fed butter (you may also use earth balance vegan sticks!)
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
Champagne Frosting Ingredients
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks)
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp champagne (of choice!)
Baking Cupcake Instructions
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Place cupcake liners into your baking pan, set aside.
- Combine almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl; mix well. Set aside.
- Cream together 1/2 cup unsalted butter and coconut sugar in a mixing bowl; beat on medium speed for approximately 1 minute.
- Add eggs one at a time; beat until well blended.
- Add 1/4 cup almond milk and extract; beat until blended. (The mixture will look watery–do NOT worry!)
- Add almond flour mixture to butter mixture slowly; beat until creamy; scraping the sides of the mixing bowl as needed
- Spoon batter into prepared cupcake pan; filling liners about 3/4 full.
- The batter will be a bit sticky. Spoon it into the cupcake liners and gently smooth the tops as best as you can. (don’t worry too much about the tops because–well, CHAMPAGNE FROSTING!)
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- After 5 minutes transfer to cool on a baking rack.
and now for the champagne frosting…. YUM!
- Cream butter in mixture until very smooth
- Add 2 cups of powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time, blending each cup until smooth.
- Add in 2 tbsp of champagne, mix thoroughly
- Add in final cup of powdered sugar, blend until smooth
- (optional) add in a fun natural food coloring to make it your favorite color!
These are the perfect treat for birthdays, Mother’s Day or any celebration. ESPECIALLY if you love champagne & cupcakes! Enjoy!